Saturday 30 January 2010

My portable darkroom


Ever since I "lost" my wet darkroom with a house move some 6 years ago I've hankered after a darkroom - there is definitely something "womb-like" about it and I've always felt "at peace" when I'm inside one!

My transition to a hybrid workflow; film - development - scanning - printing with inkjet calmed my "need" for the dark but over recent months I've been toying with the idea of trying alternative photographic processes using contact printing; I really want to try Platinum/Palladium! My plan is to use negatives produced digitally with the Epson 3800 printer up to approximately 10x14 inches and contact print them.

Last year I managed to track down a very nice (used) contact-printing frame from Ed Buziak (Darkroom User fame) and it arrived from France in perfect condition! It has sat unused ever since quietly waiting for a darkroom!

I advertised on a number of LF Forums enquiring as to whether anyone was selling a Nova Portable Darkroom; basically an inflatable tent with a pole frame. No luck! Theye are available new from Nova but they have a £500+ price tag and I didn't fancy one that much!

Patience paid off (good old Ebay!) and I managed to bid and win one for the princeley sum of £90.00 ... bargain!

Three large-ish parcels arrived a few days later (£30 for courier!) and I wondered what I'd let myself in for - certainly didn't look "portable"!

Box 1 - set of telescopic poles that lock together to form the outer frame; Box 2 - electric blower fan to inflate tent; Box 3 - the tent itself.

I proceeded to set it up ...

1. Unzip carry bag (the bag actually forms the floor of the tent);
2. Attach electric blower and switch on - remarkably quiet!;
3. Tent starts to inflate (slowly);
4. Assemble poles;
5. 5 minutes and tent fully inflated - poles fed into sleeves and fitted in place
6. Done!

It is MASSIVE!!!!!! Firstly I've discovered it's not a Nova - I'm guessing that its a Durst that preceeded the Nova; the Nova has a simpler door than this one - this has a curved vestibule entrance and is bigger than the Nova by at least 6 inches in all dimensions. (The accompanying photo to this blog shows the Nova version!)

Inside is kitted out with a window - complete with roll down cover, a pair of lightproof tubes for electric cabling, hanging tabs from the ceiling for safelight and wall-mounted pockets for bits and bobs!

Inside it is DARK - thankfully! The electric motor serves to inflate the tent and adds a ventilation system to it; the roof has a 4 foot long light-proof fabric tube that expels waste air - it can be hung out of a window! The whole structure is ideal and very comfortable but it does take up most of the kitchen space in the house!

What's more it is very lightweight and easily packable. Assembly was a simple affair with just one person - although my wife did pop her head into the kitchen during the initial inflation but left quickly with her head shaking slowly!

Ebay has also come to the rescue with a (new) foldable table; 100x60cms surface area and adjustable height up to 95cms .... all for £40 delivered.

Now then ... where did I hide that contact printing frame!

1 comment:

  1. Man, I am dying to get one of these, but it's looking like I may not be able to get it shipped. Hope you're still loving yours. I think I need to check ebay.

    ReplyDelete